Main Article Content
Research on green entrepreneurship behavior is still leaving questions related to the support against the grand theory that has been already acknowledged by academicians or practitioners. This article serves as a literature review of recent findings related to green entrepreneurship behavior variables reviewed from the underlying theories. Using content analysis from previous research articles, the researchers conducted a study that focused on the underlying theories and antecedents of the green entrepreneurship behavior variable. The article selection process is based on internationally reputed journals published over the past five years (2017-2021), searches on the Science Direct web, using the keywords 'green entrepreneurship', 'sustainable entrepreneurship', 'ecopreneurship', environment entrepreneurship, and 'antecedents'. The results showed that there are various theoretical concepts that can be used to explain and determined the antecedents of green entrepreneurship behavior. This includes psychological, personality traits, and contextual factors that were identified as antecedents of green entrepreneurship behavior. For further research, there are many related issues that can be analyzed, such as the decision-making process to become green entrepreneurs, the implementation of green entrepreneurship practices, etc.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179–211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Alvarez-Risco, A., Mlodzianowska, S., García-Ibarra, V., Rosen, M. A., & Del-Aguila-Arcentales, S. (2021). Factors affecting green entrepreneurship intentions in Business University Students in COVID-19 pandemic times: case of Ecuador. Sustainability, 13(11), 6447. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13116447
- Alwakid, W., Aparicio, S., & Urbano, D. (2020). Cultural antecedents of green entrepreneurship in Saudi Arabia: An institutional approach. Sustainability, 12(9), 3673. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12093673
- Amankwah, J., & Sesen, H. (2021). On the relation between green entrepreneurship intention and behavior. Sustainability, 13(13), 7474. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13137474
- Amouri, A., Festa, G., Shams, S. M. R., Sakka, G., & Rossi, M. (2021). Technological propensity, financial constraints, and entrepreneurial limits in young entrepreneurs’ social business enterprises: The tunisian experience. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 173, 121126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2021.121126
- Arru, B. (2020). An integrative model for understanding the sustainable entrepreneurs’ behavioural intentions: an empirical study of the Italian context. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 22(4), 3519–3576. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-019-00356-x
- Bruton, G. D., Ahlstrom, D., & Li, H. (2010). Institutional theory and entrepreneurship: where are we now and where do we need to move in the future? Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 34(3), 421–440. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2010.00390.x
- Cavazos-Arroyo, J., Puente-Díaz, R., & Agarwal, N. (2017). An examination of certain antecedents of social entrepreneurial intentions among Mexico residents. Revista Brasileira de Gestão de Negócios, 19(64), 180–199. https://doi.org/10.7819/rbgn.v19i64.3129
- Chu, F., Zhang, W., & Jiang, Y. (2021). How does policy perception affect green entrepreneurship behavior? An empirical analysis from China. Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/7973046
- Chygryn, O. (2016). The mechanism of the resource-saving activity at joint stock companies: The theory and implementation features. International Journal of Ecology and Development, 31(3), 42–59.
- Cooney, S. (2009). Build a green small business: Profitable ways to become an ecopreneur. McGraw-Hill.
- Croston, G. (2009). Starting green: An ecopreneur’s toolkit for starting a green business from business plan to project. Entrepreneur Press. 324p.
- Demirel, P., Li, Q. C., Rentocchini, F., & Tamvada, J. P. (2019). Born to be green: new insights into the economics and management of green entrepreneurship. Small Business Economics, 52(4), 759–771. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-017-9933-z
- Dhahri, S., Slimani, S., & Omri, A. (2021). Behavioral entrepreneurship for achieving the sustainable development goals. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 165, 120561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.120561
- Dixon, S. E. A., & Clifford, A. (2007). Ecopreneurship–a new approach to managing the triple bottom line. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 20(3), 326–345. https://doi.org/10.1108/09534810710740164
- Dunlap, R. E. (1978). The" new environmental paradigm": A proposed instrument and preliminary results/Riley E. Dunlap, Kent Van Liere. Journal of Environmental Education, 9(4), 9–19. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1978.10801875
- Elkington, J. (2004). Enter the triple bottom line. In The Triple Bottom Line: Does It All Add Up (pp. 1–16).
- Farinelli, F., Bottini, M., Akkoyunlu, S., & Aerni, P. (2011). Green entrepreneurship: the missing link towards a greener economy. Atdf Journal, 8(3/4), 42–48.
- Fichter, K., & Tiemann, I. (2018). Factors influencing university support for sustainable entrepreneurship: Insights from explorative case studies. Journal of Cleaner Production, 175, 512–524. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.12.031
- Fishbein, M., & Ajzen, I. (1977). Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research. In Philosophy and Rhetoric (Vol. 10, Issue 2). Addison-Wesley. https://people.umass.edu/aizen/f&a1975.html
- Gevrenova, T. (2015). Nature and characteristics of green entrepreneurship. Trakia Journal of Sciences, 13(2), 321–323. https://doi.org/10.15547/tjs.2015.s.02.068
- Greco, A., & de Jong, G. (2017). Sustainable entrepreneurship: Definitions, themes and research gaps. In Sustainable entrepreneurship: definitions, themes and research gaps (Vol. 10). https://www.rug.nl/cf/pdfs/cse/wps6_angela.pdf
- Haldar, S. (2019). Green entrepreneurship in theory and practice: insights from India. International Journal of Green Economics, 13(2), 99–119. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJGE.2019.103232
- Hall, J. K., Daneke, G. A., & Lenox, M. J. (2010). Sustainable development and entrepreneurship: Past contributions and future directions. Journal of Business Venturing, 25(5), 439–448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2010.01.002
- Hameed, I., Zaman, U., Waris, I., & Shafique, O. (2021). A serial-mediation model to link entrepreneurship education and green entrepreneurial behavior: application of resource-based view and flow theory. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(2), 550. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18020550
- Himel, T. H., Muniandy, S. L., & Rahman, A. A. (2016). The relationship between selfefficacy, feasibility and awareness towards green entrepreneurial intention. Sci. Int.(Lahore), 28(2), 2095–2103.
- Hussain, I., Nazir, M., Hashmi, S. B., Di Vaio, A., Shaheen, I., Waseem, M. A., & Arshad, A. (2021). Green and Sustainable Entrepreneurial Intentions: A Mediation-Moderation Perspective. Sustainability, 13(15), 8627. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13158627
- Hussain, I., Nazir, M., Hashmi, S. B., Shaheen, I., Akram, S., Waseem, M. A., & Arshad, A. (2021). Linking green and sustainable entrepreneurial intentions and social networking sites; the mediating role of self-efficacy and risk propensity. Sustainability, 13(13), 7050. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13137050
- Jiang, H., Wang, S., Wang, L., & Li, G. (2020). Golden apples or green apples? The effect of entrepreneurial creativity on green entrepreneurship: A dual pathway model. Sustainability, 12(15), 6285. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12156285
- Khursheed, A., Mustafa, F., Fatima, M., & Khalid, F. (2019). Antecedents of entrepreneurial intentions: A cross-country study of northern europe and the danube region. Iranian Journal of Management Studies, 12(4), 593–627. https://doi.org/10.22059/IJMS.2019.265108.673301
- Kirkwood, J., & Walton, S. (2010). What motivates ecopreneurs to start businesses? International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 16(3), 204–228. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551011042799
- Liang, C., Ip, C. Y., Wu, S.-C., Law, K. M. Y., Wang, J.-H., Peng, L.-P., & Liu, H.-C. (2019). Personality traits, social capital, and entrepreneurial creativity: comparing green socioentrepreneurial intentions across Taiwan and Hong Kong. Studies in Higher Education, 44(6), 1086–1102. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2017.1418310
- Lotfi, M., Yousefi, A., & Jafari, S. (2018). The effect of emerging green market on green entrepreneurship and sustainable development in knowledge-based companies. Sustainability, 10(7), 2308. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10072308
- Makower, J., & Pike, C. (2008). Strategies for the green economy: Opportunities and challenges in the new world of business. McGraw Hill Professional.
- Muo, I., & Azeez, A. A. (2019). Green Entrepreneurship: Literature Review and Agenda for Future Research. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge, 7(2). https://doi.org/10.37335/ijek.v7i2.90
- Peng, H., Li, B., Zhou, C., & Sadowski, B. M. (2021). How Does the Appeal of Environmental Values Influence Sustainable Entrepreneurial Intention? International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(3), 1070. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18031070
- Saleem, F., Adeel, A., Ali, R., & Hyder, S. (2018). Intentions to adopt ecopreneurship: moderating role of collectivism and altruism. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 6(2), 517–537. https://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2018.6.2(4)
- Salmony, F. U., & Kanbach, D. K. (2021). Personality trait differences across types of entrepreneurs: a systematic literature review. Review of Managerial Science, 16, 713–749. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11846-021-00466-9
- Schick, H., Marxen, S., & Freimann, J. (2002). Sustainability issues for start-up entrepreneurs. Greener Management International, 38, 59–70.
- Scott, W. R. (2008). Approaching adulthood: the maturing of institutional theory. Theory and Society, 37(5), 427–442. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11186-008-9067-z
- Shapero, A., & Sokol, L. (1982). The social dimensions of entrepreneurship. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership Historical Research Reference in Entrepreneurship.
- Singh, G., Sharma, S., Sharma, R., & Dwivedi, Y. K. (2021). Investigating environmental sustainability in small family-owned businesses: Integration of religiosity, ethical judgment, and theory of planned behavior. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 173, 121094. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2021.121094
- Slovik, P. (2011). Market uncertainty and market instability. Proceedings of the Fifth IFC Conference, 430–435. https://www.bis.org/ifc/publ/ifcb34ad.pdf
- Soomro, B. A., Almahdi, H. K., & Shah, N. (2020). Perceptions of young entrepreneurial aspirants towards sustainable entrepreneurship in Pakistan. Kybernetes, 50(7), 2134–2154. https://doi.org/10.1108/K-07-2019-0504
- Stern, P. (2000). Toward a coherent theory of environmentally significant behavior. Journal of Social Issues, 56(3), 407–424. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00175
- Tan, K. L., Suhaida, S., & Leong, Y. P. (2013). Self-Efficacy and green entrepreneurship. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 16(1), 12119. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/16/1/012119
- Thelken, H. N., & de Jong, G. (2020). The impact of values and future orientation on intention formation within sustainable entrepreneurship. Journal of Cleaner Production, 266, 122052. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122052
- Wikaningtyas, S. U., Sulastiningsih, S., & Novitasari, D. (2019). Pengentasan kemiskinan: Model membangun motivasi menjadi pengusaha ramah lingkungan (Green Entrepreneur). STIE Widya Wiwaha.
- Yasir, N., Mahmood, N., Mehmood, H. S., Babar, M., Irfan, M., & Liren, A. (2021). Impact of environmental, social values and the consideration of future consequences for the development of a sustainable entrepreneurial intention. Sustainability, 13(5), 2648. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13052648
- Ye, Q., Zhou, R., Anwar, M. A., Siddiquei, A. N., & Asmi, F. (2020). Entrepreneurs and environmental sustainability in the digital era: Regional and institutional perspectives. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(4), 1355. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17041355
- York, J. G., & Venkataraman, S. (2010). The entrepreneur–environment nexus: Uncertainty, innovation, and allocation. Journal of Business Venturing, 25(5), 449–463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2009.07.007
- Yu, T.-Y., & Yu, T.-K. (2017). The moderating effects of students’ personality traits on pro-environmental behavioral intentions in response to climate change. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14(12), 1472. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14121472