Main Article Content
The development of technology on the 2-stroke direct-injection spark-ignition engine is expected to be a solution to optimize engine performance and reduce exhaust pollution. The fuel injection system in the operation of the spark-ignition engine is controlled by the Electronic Control Unit (ECU), so this study aims to design and experiment with a prototype of an Arduino-based direct injection fuel injection electronic control unit for 2-stroke spark-ignition engines. This research method begins with the design of an electronic control unit prototype that is selected for easy setup and low cost. Then, experiments were conducted on variations in injection timing and injection duration, which are the two main parameters of the fuel system to determine their effect on engine performance. This data is then used as a basis for setting the amount of fuel injected. The results show that there is an optimal performance under certain conditions from setting the injection timing and injection duration which is easily applied to the open-source code setting of this electronic control unit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- C. N. Grimaldi and F. Millo, Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Fundamentals, vol. 21. 2015.
- B. G. Jennings and G. Jennings, Two-Stroke Tuner’s Handbook. 2007.
- D. M. A. N. T. K. D. Sapate, “Design And Development of Gasoline Direct Injection System for Small Two-Stroke Engine,” Int. J. Mech. Eng. Technol., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 346–353, 2012.
- W. Mitianiec and Ł. Rodak, “Lowering of Exhaust Emission in Modern Two-Stroke Engine,” J. KONES. Powertrain Transp., vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 337–344, 2015, doi: 10.5604/12314005.1137950.
- A. K. Singh, A. Lanjewar, and A. Rehman, “Current Status of Direct Fuel Injection in Two Stroke Petrol Engine-A Review,” IOSR J. Mech. Civ. Eng. Ver. II, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 2320–334, 2015, doi: 10.9790/1684-12228693.
- P. R. Hooper, T. Al-Shemmeri, and M. J. Goodwin, “Advanced modern low-emission two-stroke cycle engines,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng., vol. 225, no. 11, pp. 1531–1543, 2011, doi: 10.1177/0954407011408649.
- A. R. Ajay Kumar Singh, A. M. Lanjewar, “Direct Fuel Injection System in Gasoline Engine - A Review Ajay,” Ijitee, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 2278–3075, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2012.07.012.
- A. Parker, “Numerical evaluation of the performance of a compression ignition CNG engine for heavy duty trucks with an optimum speed power turbine,” Int. J. Innov. Technol. Creat. Eng., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 12–26, 2011.
- A. A. Boretti, “Simulations of Multi Combustion Modes Hydrogen Engines for Heavy Duty Trucks,” Int. J. Eng. Technol. Innov., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 13–30, 2012.
- S. Pai, A. Sharief, and S. Kumar, “Influence of ultra injection pressure with dynamic injection timing on CRDI engine performance using Simarouba biodiesel blends,” Int. J. Automot. Mech. Eng., vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 5748–5759, 2018, doi: 10.15282/ijame.15.4.2018.3.0440.
- M. How, CB, Taib, NM, y A. Mansor, “Performance and Exhaust Gas Emission of Biodiesel Fuel with Palm Oil Based Additive in Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine,” Int. J. Automot. Mech. Eng., vol. 16, no. March, p. 15, 2019.
- A. Majedi, F; Setiyaningrum, D; Hidayahtullah, S; Abbas, “Effects of Injection Pressure on Output Power, BTE, SFC and Opacity in a Typical Single-Cylinder Diesel Engine,” Automot. Exp., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 2020.
- K. I. Hamada and M. M. Rahman, “An experimental study for performance and emissions of a small four-stroke SI engine for modern motorcycle,” Int. J. Automot. Mech. Eng., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1852–1865, 2014, doi: 10.15282/ijame.10.2014.3.0154.
- A. Boretti, “Numerical modeling of a Jet Ignition Direct Injection (JI DI) LPG engine,” Int. J. Eng. Technol. Innov., vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 24–38, 2017.
- S. K. Addepalli and J. M. Mallikarjuna, “Parametric analysis of a 4-stroke GDI engine using CFD,” Alexandria Eng. J., vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.aej.2016.10.007.
- U. K. Efemwenkiekie, S. O. Oyedepo, U. D. Idiku, D. C. Uguru-Okorie, and A. Kuhe, “Comparative analysis of a four stroke spark ignition engine performance using local ethanol and gasoline blends,” Procedia Manuf., vol. 35, pp. 1079–1086, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.promfg.2019.06.060.
- A. Boretti and S. Jiang, “Development of a two stroke direct injection jet ignition compressed natural gas engine,” J. Power Technol., vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 145–152, 2014.
- N. Lorenz, T. Bauer, and B. Willson, “Design of a direct injection retrofit kit for small two-stroke engines,” SAE Tech. Pap., vol. 20056601, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2005, doi: 10.4271/2005-32-0095.
- A. Boretti, “Numerical modelling of the operation of a novel two stroke V4 engine,” Int. J. Eng. Technol. Innov., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 69–77, 2017.
- S. Kumarappa and G. P. Prabhukumar, “Improving the Performance of Two Stroke Spark Ignition Engine by Direct Electronic CNG Injection,” Jordan J. Mech. Ind. Eng., vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 169–174, 2008.
- Y. H. Teoh and H. Gitano-Briggs, “Direct Fuel Injection of LPG in Small Two-Stroke Engines,” Int. J. Adv. Sci. Eng. Inf. Technol., vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 534–540, 2011, doi: 10.18517/ijaseit.1.5.108.
- M. W. Darwin R.B Syaka, Ragil Sukarno, “Studi Karakteristik Tekanan Injeksi dan Waktu Injeksi pada Two Stroke Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” in Prosiding SNATIF ke-4 Tahun 2017, 2017, pp. 643–647.
- D. R. B. Syaka, G. Margono, A. T. Tyasmadi, and T. Dewantoro, “Influence of duration and fuel injection pressure on two stroke gasoline direct injection engine performance,” IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., vol. 1098, no. 6, p. 062090, 2021, doi: 10.1088/1757-899x/1098/6/062090.
- F. Fahmi and M. N. Yuniarto, “Perancangan dan Unjuk Kerja Engine Control Unit ( ECU ) iquteche pada motor Yamaha vixion,” vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2013.
- M. Setiyo and L. Utoro, “Re-Mapping Engine Control Unit ( Ecu ) Untuk Menaikkan,” vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 62–68, 2017.
- A. Francisco, N. V. Lopes, L. C. Bento, and C. Ferreira, “Arduino based Open Source Electronic Control Unit for Electric Utility Vehicles,” in 2020 XXIX International Scientific Conference Electronics (ET), 2020, pp. 1–4, doi: 10.1109/ET50336.2020.9238205.
- S. Munahar, B. C. Purnomo, and H. Köten, “Fuel Control Systems for Planetary Transmission Vehicles: A Contribution to the LPG-fueled Vehicles Community,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2021, doi: 10.31603/mesi.5263
- P. Kaur, A. Das, M. P. Borah, and S. Dey, “Smart Vehicle System Using Arduino,” ADBU J. Electr. Electron. Eng., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2019, [Online]. Available: www.tinyurl.com/ajeee-adbu.
- J. Pančík and V. Beneš, “Open source based peripherals for automotive electronic control unit,” ICST Trans. Scalable Inf. Syst., vol. 5, no. 18, p. 154825, 2018, doi: 10.4108/eai.19-6-2018.154825.
- S. Fahrian, H; Munahar, S; Putra, D, “Pengembangan Sirkuit Security System untuk Meningkatkan Driver Behaviour Control pada Kendaraan,” Automot. Exp., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2018.
- B. Jeeva, S. Awate, J. Rajesh, A. Chowdhury, and S. Sheshadri, “Development of custom-made engine control unit for a research engine,” Proc. 2014 2nd Int. Conf. “Emerging Technol. Trends Electron. Commun. Networking”, ET2ECN 2014, no. May 2015, 2015, doi: 10.1109/ET2ECN.2014.7044943.
- Yamaha USA, “2021 Yamaha F1Z R Specs”, 2021. [Online]. Available: https://yamahausaprice.com/2021-yamaha-f1z-r-specs/. [Accessed: 05-Nov-2021].