Main Article Content
The rapid increase in the amount of tyres discarded yearly leads to the problem of scrap tyres littering the country, Nigeria thereby leading to environmental pollution. This paper looks at the extent of the menace scrap tyres has caused, the methods of their disposal and the effects on the environment. The study calls for a concerted effort from researchers, industry operators and regulatory bodies to be up and doing in the disposal of scrap tyres in Nigeria to check the degradation of the environment in its three compartments: air, water and land, with a view to upholding environmental sustainability and embedded economic advantages.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Etrma, “Position on the treatment of ELTs from End of Life Vehicles,” 2012.
- C. N. Harrison-Obi, “Environmental impact of end of life tyre (ELT) or scrap tyre waste pollution and the need for sustainable waste tyre disposal and transformation mechanism in Nigeria,” Nnamdi Azikiwe University Journal of International Law and Jurisprudence, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 60–70, 2019.
- O. A. Odunlami, F. B. Elehinafe, T. E. Oladimeji, M. A. Fajobi, O. B. Okedere, and B. S. Fakinle, “Implications of lack of maintenance of motorcycles on ambient air quality,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2018, vol. 413, no. 1, p. 12055.
- T. B. Edil, “A review of environmental impacts and environmental applications of shredded scrap tires,” Scrap Tire Derived Geomaterials—Opportunities and Challenges; Hazarika, H., Yasuhara, K., Eds, pp. 3–18, 2007.
- S. Supriyanto, I. Ismanto, and N. Suwito, “Zeolit Alam Sebagai Katalis Pyrolisis Limbah Ban Bekas Menjadi Bahan Bakar Cair,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2019.
- A. Rowhani and T. J. Rainey, “Scrap tyre management pathways and their use as a fuel—a review,” Energies, vol. 9, no. 11, p. 888, 2016.
- M. Juma, Z. Koreňová, J. Markoš, J. Annus, and Ľ. Jelemenský, “Pyrolysis and combustion of scrap tire,” Petroleum & Coal, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 2006.
- O. B. Okedere, A. P. Olalekan, B. S. Fakinle, F. B. Elehinafe, O. A. Odunlami, and J. A. Sonibare, “Urban air pollution from the open burning of municipal solid waste,” Environmental Quality Management, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 67–74, 2019.
- W. McDonough and M. Braungart, Cradle to cradle: Remaking the way we make things. North point press, 2010.
- N. N. Azizah, R. Maryanti, and A. B. D. Nandiyanto, “How to search and manage references with a specific referencing style using google scholar: From step-by-step processing for users to the practical examples in the referencing education,” Indonesian Journal of Multidiciplinary Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 267–294, 2021.
- Lindenmuth B.E., “The Pneumatic Tyre. Structure of a tyre. U.S Department of Transportation. National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration,” 2006. [Online]. Available: https://jordansautocare.co.uk/tyre-structure/.
- A. H. Ziadat and E. Sood, “An environmental impact assessment of the open burning of scrap tires,” Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 14, no. 21, pp. 2695–2703, 2014.
- J. E. Mark, B. Erman, and M. Roland, The science and technology of rubber. Academic press, 2013.
- C. Bulei, M. P. Todor, T. Heput, and I. Kiss, “Directions for material recovery of used tires and their use in the production of new products intended for the industry of civil construction and pavements,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2018, vol. 294, no. 1, p. 12064.
- T. Christensen, Solid waste technology and management. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- V. Torretta, E. C. Rada, M. Ragazzi, E. Trulli, I. A. Istrate, and L. I. Cioca, “Treatment and disposal of tyres: Two EU approaches. A review,” Waste management, vol. 45, pp. 152–160, 2015.
- K. Bazienė and R. Vaiškūnaitė, “Research of sustainable use of tire shreds in landfill,” Sustainability, vol. 8, no. 8, p. 767, 2016.
- J. Downard et al., “Uncontrolled combustion of shredded tires in a landfill–Part 1: Characterization of gaseous and particulate emissions,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 104, pp. 195–204, 2015.
- S. D. Flapper, J. van Nunen, and L. N. Van Wassenhove, Managing closed-loop supply chains. Springer Science & Business Media, 2005.
- B. Banerjee, Tyre retreading. Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG, 2019.
- T. Amari, N. J. Themelis, and I. K. Wernick, “Resource recovery from used rubber tires,” Resources Policy, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 179–188, 1999.
- W. Abdul-Kader and M. S. Haque, “Sustainable tyre remanufacturing: an agent-based simulation modelling approach,” International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 330–347, 2011.
- P. J. Bosscher, T. B. Edil, and S. Kuraoka, “Design of highway embankments using tire chips,” Journal of geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 295–304, 1997.
- X. Colom, J. Cañavate, F. Carrillo, and J. J. Suñol, “Effect of the particle size and acid pretreatments on compatibility and properties of recycled HDPE plastic bottles filled with ground tyre powder,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 1882–1890, 2009.
- J. A. Conesa, A. Gálvez, F. Mateos, I. Martín-Gullón, and R. Font, “Organic and inorganic pollutants from cement kiln stack feeding alternative fuels,” Journal of hazardous materials, vol. 158, no. 2–3, pp. 585–592, 2008.
- P. Pipilikaki, M. Katsioti, D. Papageorgiou, D. Fragoulis, and E. Chaniotakis, “Use of tire derived fuel in clinker burning,” Cement and Concrete Composites, vol. 27, no. 7–8, pp. 843–847, 2005.
- S. Singh, W. Nimmo, B. M. Gibbs, and P. T. Williams, “Waste tyre rubber as a secondary fuel for power plants,” Fuel, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 2473–2480, 2009.
- P. W. Dufton, SCRAP TYRES. DISPOSAL AND RECYCLING OPTIONS. A REPORT FROM RAPRA’S INDUSTRY ANALYSIS AND PUBLISHING GROUP. 1995.
- U.S. EPA, “Risk Assessment for Toxic Air Pollutants: A Citizen’s Guide,” Air Toxics Website. pp. 1–4, 2013, [Online]. Available: http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/3_90_024.html.
- F. P. Perera, “Multiple threats to child health from fossil fuel combustion: impacts of air pollution and climate change,” Environmental health perspectives, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 2017.
- R. A. Frosch and N. E. Gallopoulos, “Strategies for manufacturing,” Scientific American, vol. 261, no. 3, pp. 144–153, 1989.
- E. Trovatti, T. M. Lacerda, A. J. F. Carvalho, and A. Gandini, “Recycling tires? Reversible crosslinking of poly (butadiene),” Advanced Materials, vol. 27, no. 13, pp. 2242–2245, 2015.
- S. Mujiarto, B. Sudarmanta, H. Fansuri, and A. R. Saleh, “Comparative Study of Municipal Solid Waste Fuel and Refuse Derived Fuel in the Gasification Process Using Multi Stage Downdraft Gasifier,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 2, 2021, doi: 10.31603/ae.4625.
- S. Sunaryo, P. A. Sesotyo, E. Saputra, and A. P. Sasmito, “Performance and Fuel Consumption of Diesel Engine Fueled by Diesel Fuel and Waste Plastic Oil Blends: An Experimental Investigation,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 2021.
- M. P. Lemieux, “Research and development emissions of organic air toxics from open burning,” EPA-600/R-02-076, US Environmental Protection Agency, USA, 2002.
- Nova Scotia Environment Interdepartmental Committee, “Interdepartmental committee on used-tire management in Nova Scotia Report to the Minister of Environment,” 2008.
- M. H. Blumenthal and E. C. Weatherhead, “The use of scrap tires in rotary cement kilns,” in Municipal Solid Wastes, CRC Press, 2020, pp. 105–123.
- N. C. Kankal, M. M. Indurkar, S. K. Gudadhe, and S. R. Wate, “Water quality index of surface water bodies of Gujarat, India,” Asian J. Exp. Sci, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2012.
- A. Blackman and A. Palma, “Scrap tires in Ciudad Juárez and El Paso: Ranking the risks,” Journal of Environment and Development, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 247–266, 2002, doi: 10.1177/107049602237157.