Main Article Content
Traffic accidents at night are higher than in other periods, especially on a dark road. This study explores the impact of the dark road on driver behaviours when approaching a parked or slowed-moving vehicle at the front. An experiment was conducted on a racing track at night, with and without road lighting. Different sizes of obstacles were used to represent other vehicles as a lorry, a car, and a motorcycle. The results show that the obstacles can be detected by drivers much earlier with the help of road lighting, and they tend to increase their speed, probably preparing to overtake the obstacles.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- H. Ritchie, F. Spooner, and M. Roser, “Causes of death,” Our World in Data, 2019. https://ourworldindata.org/causes-of-death
- Ministry of Transport Malaysia, “Malaysia Road Fatalities Index,” 2020. https://www.mot.gov.my/en/land/safety/malaysia-road-fatalities-index
- R. Mohamad, “Current Population Estimates, Malaysia, 2018-2019,” Department of Statistics Malaysia, 2019.
- M. M. A. Manan, A. Várhelyi, A. K. Çelik, and H. H. Hashim, “Road characteristics and environment factors associated with motorcycle fatal crashes in Malaysia,” IATSS research, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 207–220, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iatssr.2017.11.001.
- C.-W. Pai and W. Saleh, “An analysis of motorcyclist injury severity under various traffic control measures at three-legged junctions in the UK,” Safety science, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 832–847, 2007, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2006.08.021.
- N. M. Yusof, J. Karjanto, M. Z. Hassan, S. Sulaiman, and N. Mustaffa, “Experimental Setup of Driver Behavior on Road Darkness Level,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers Malaysia, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 244–251, 2021, doi: https://doi.org/10.56381/jsaem.v5i2.168.
- J. M. Sullivan and M. J. Flannagan, “Characteristics of Pedestrian Risk in Darkness,” Michigan, USA, 2001. [Online]. Available: https://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/49450
- F. Matanzo Jr and T. H. Rockwell, “Driving performance under nighttime conditions of visual degradation,” Human factors, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 427–432, 1967, doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/001872086700900505.
- A. K. Jägerbrand and J. Sjöbergh, “Effects of weather conditions, light conditions, and road lighting on vehicle speed,” SpringerPlus, vol. 5, pp. 1–17, 2016, doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-2124-6.
- O. Taubman-Ben-Ari, M. Mikulincer, and O. Gillath, “The multidimensional driving style inventory - Scale construct and validation,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 323–332, 2004, doi: 10.1016/S0001-4575(03)00010-1.
- H. H. van Huysduynen, J. Terken, J.-B. Martens, and B. Eggen, “Measuring driving styles: a validation of the multidimensional driving style inventory,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications, 2015, pp. 257–264. doi: 10.1051/matecconf/20179001004.
- J. Karjanto et al., “The identification of Malaysian driving styles using the multidimensional driving style inventory,” in MATEC Web of Conferences, 2017, vol. 90, p. 1004. doi: https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/20179001004.
- B.-E. Johnnie, M. Nordiana, and R. Rahman, “Effect of road lighting on the quality of dual carriageway road service,” Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 950–956, 2014, doi: https://doi.org/10.19026/rjaset.7.340.
- P. Sundara, C. O. Puan, and M. Rosli, “Impact of highway darkness on traffic flow characteristics,” J. Basic. Appl. Sci. Res, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1–8, 2013, doi: https://doi.org/10.19026/rjaset.7.848.
- P. Sundara, M. R. Hainin, O. C. Puan, and K. Z. Zamli, “Influence of darkness dry and darkness rainfall on Malaysian expressway for traffic characteristics using Greenshield’s model,” Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 34–42, 2015.
- D. A. Owens and M. Sivak, “Differentiation of visibility and alcohol as contributors to twilight road fatalities,” Human Factors, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 680–689, 1996, doi: https://doi.org/10.1518/001872096778827233.
- S. T. Chrysler, S. M. Danielson, and V. M. Kirby, “Age differences in visual abilities in nighttime driving field conditions,” in Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 1996, vol. 40, no. 18, pp. 923–927. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/154193129604001812.
- T. Assum, T. Bjørnskau, S. Fosser, and F. Sagberg, “Risk compensation—the case of road lighting,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 545–553, 1999, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-4575(99)00011-1.
- A. F. Al-Kaisy and F. L. Hall, “Effect of darkness on the capacity of long-term freeway reconstruction zones,” Transportation Research Circular E-C018, pp. 164–175, 2000.
- K. W. Ising, T. R. C. Fricker, J. M. Lawrence, and G. P. Siegmund, “Threshold visibility levels for the Adrian visibility model under nighttime driving conditions,” SAE Technical Paper, 2003.
- T. M. Rice, C. Peek-Asa, and J. F. Kraus, “Nighttime driving, passenger transport, and injury crash rates of young drivers,” Injury Prevention, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 2003, doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.9.3.245.
- Y. Cohen et al., “Relationship between night myopia and night‐time motor vehicle accidents,” Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 367–370, 2007, doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0420.2006.00875.x.
- P. F. Alcantarilla et al., “Night time vehicle detection for driving assistance lightbeam controller,” in 2008 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2008, pp. 291–296. doi: https://doi.org/10.1109/IVS.2008.4621142.
- P. O. Wanvik, “Effects of road lighting: An analysis based on Dutch accident statistics 1987–2006,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 123–128, 2009, doi: 1https://doi.org/0.1016/j.aap.2008.10.003.
- Ö. Johansson, P. O. Wanvik, and R. Elvik, “A new method for assessing the risk of accident associated with darkness,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 809–815, 2009, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.04.003.
- J. Wood, A. Chaparro, T. Carberry, and B. S. Chu, “Effect of simulated visual impairment on nighttime driving performance,” Optometry and vision science, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 379–386, 2010, doi: https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0b013e3181d95b0d.
- A. F. Williams, B. A. West, and R. A. Shults, “Fatal crashes of 16-to 17-year-old drivers involving alcohol, nighttime driving, and passengers,” Traffic injury prevention, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2012, doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/15389588.2011.633235.
- N. Gupta, H. Lata, and A. Kaur, “Effect of glare on night time driving in alcoholic versus non-alcoholic professional drivers,” International journal of applied and basic medical research, vol. 2, no. 2, p. 128, 2012, doi: https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-516X.106356.
- S. Gaca and M. Kiec, “Risk of accidents during darkness on roads with different technical standards,” in 16th International Conference Road Safety on Four Continents, 2013.
- J. M. Wood, P. Lacherez, and R. A. Tyrrell, “Seeing pedestrians at night: effect of driver age and visual abilities,” Ophthalmic and physiological optics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 452–458, 2014, doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/opo.12139.
- A. Anund, C. Fors, and C. Ahlstrom, “The severity of driver fatigue in terms of line crossing: a pilot study comparing day-and night time driving in simulator,” European transport research review, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1–7, 2017, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12544-017-0248-6.
- S. B. Williams, “Exploring Driver Behaviour under Conditions of Darkness: Shedding light on the night time traffic death toll.” Stellenbosch: Stellenbosch University, 2018.
- N. S. S. Al-Bdairi, S. Hernandez, and J. Anderson, “Contributing factors to run-off-road crashes involving large trucks under lighted and dark conditions,” Journal of transportation engineering, Part A: Systems, vol. 144, no. 1, p. 4017066, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1061/JTEPBS.0000104.
- K. Wang et al., “Exploring the factors affecting myopic drivers’ driving skills and risk perception in nighttime driving,” Cognition, Technology & Work, vol. 21, pp. 275–285, 2019, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10111-018-0492-0.
- A. A. Black et al., “Effects of night-time bicycling visibility aids on vehicle passing distance,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, vol. 144, p. 105636, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2020.105636.
- C. J. Robbins and S. Fotios, “Motorcycle safety after-dark: the factors associated with greater risk of road-traffic collisions,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, vol. 146, p. 105731, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2020.105731.
- J. Muttart et al., “Determining when an object enters the headlight beam pattern of a vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper, 2013.
- J. W. Muttart, S. Dinakar, G. Vandenberg, and M. Yosko, “The influence of driver expectation when recognizing lighted targets at nighttime,” in Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 2016, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 489–493. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1541931213601111.
- H. W. Leibowitz, D. A. Owens, and R. A. Tyrrell, “The assured clear distance ahead rule: implications for nighttime traffic safety and the law,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 1998, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-4575(97)00067-5.
- D. R. Herd, K. R. Agent, and R. L. Rizenbergs, “Traffic accidents: Day versus night,” 1980.
- P. Garder, J. N. Ivan, and J. Du, “Traffic calming of state highways: Application new England,” MIT Center for Transportation & Logistics, 2002.
- D. A. Owens, “Twilight vision and road safety: Seeing more than we notice but less than we think.,” in Visual perception: The influence of H. W. Leibowitz, American Psychological Association, 2003, pp. 157–180. doi: 1https://doi.org/0.1037/10485-012.
- F. Naujoks, D. Befelein, K. Wiedemann, and A. Neukum, “A review of non-driving-related tasks used in studies on automated driving,” in Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation: Proceedings of the AHFE 2017 International Conference on Human Factors in Transportation, July 17− 21, 2017, The Westin Bonaventure Hotel, Los Angeles, California, USA 8, 2018, pp. 525–537.