Main Article Content
Biodiesel is one of the promising alternative fuels of the future that is environmentally friendly. Biodiesel can be produced from rapeseed, soybeans, coconut oil, jatropha and many others. It is important to analyze the effect of comparison between diesel fuel and biodiesel to study the effect of combustion and emissions of these fuels. In this research, the simulation of combustion and emission is done with Diesel RK. Three fuels are studied; diesel fuel, rapeseed methyl ester (RME) and soybean methyl ester (SME). The engine was simulated at 2000 rpm and the injection pressures were 944, 1191, 1297, 1420 and 1729 bar respectively. The results show that the specific fuel consumption (SFC), particulate matter (PM), and CO2 emissions of diesel fuel are relatively the same for different injection pressures. However, the SFC, PM and CO2 emissions for rapeseed methyl ester and soybean methyl ester decrease with increasing injection pressure. These results can prove that higher injection pressures in diesel engines can improve combustion and reduce emissions of biodiesel fuel as compared to diesel fuel.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- R. A. B. Hariyanto, R. A. Firmansyah, R. Y. P. Burhan, and Y. Zetra, “Synthesis of Bio-additive for Low Sulphur Diesel: Transesterification of Soybean Oil and Ethylene Glycol using K2CO3 Catalyst,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2021.
- D. Ayu, R. Aulyana, E. W. Astuti, K. Kusmiyati, and N. Hidayati, “Catalytic Transesterification of Used Cooking Oil to Biodiesel: Effect of Oil-Methanol Molar Ratio and Reaction Time,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 73–77, 2019, doi: 10.31603/ae.v2i3.2991.
- A. Bhikuning, E. Matsumura, and J. Senda, “A review: non-evaporating spray characteristics of biodiesel Jatropha and palm oil and its blends.,” International Review of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 364–370, 2018.
- M. Aldhaidhawi, R. Chiriac, and V. Badescu, “Ignition delay, combustion and emission characteristics of Diesel engine fueled with rapeseed biodiesel–A literature review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 73, pp. 178–186, 2017.
- A. Bhikuning and M. Hafnan, “Biodiesel Production from Cerbera Manghas Using Different Catalyst; NaOH and Zeolite,” Journal of Clean Energy Technologies, vol. 7, no. 2, 2019.
- A. Bhikuning, “Analisa performa mesin dengan biodiesel terbuat dari virgin coconut oil pada mesin diesel,” Jurnal Energi dan Manufaktur Vol, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 95–200, 2013.
- A. Kolakoti, M. Setiyo, and B. Waluyo, “Biodiesel Production from Waste Cooking Oil: Characterization, Modeling and Optimization,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2021.
- A. BHIKUNING, X. LI, S. KOSHIKAWA, E. MATSUMURA, and J. SENDA, “An experimental investigation of bio-hydro fined oil and waste cooking oil in direct injection diesel engine,” Harris Sci. Rev. Doshisha Univ., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 133–140, 2019.
- H. K. Suh and C. S. Lee, “A review on atomization and exhaust emissions of a biodiesel-fueled compression ignition engine,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 58, pp. 1601–1620, 2016.
- S. Pambudi, N. Ilminnafik, S. Junus, and M. N. Kustanto, “Experimental Study on the Effect of Nano Additives γAl2O3 and Equivalence Ratio to Bunsen Flame Characteristic of Biodiesel from Nyamplung (Calophyllum Inophyllum),” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 51–61, 2021.
- H. Y. Nanlohy, H. Riupassa, I. M. Rasta, and M. Yamaguchi, “An Experimental Study on the Ignition Behavior of Blended Fuels Droplets with Crude Coconut Oil and Liquid Metal Catalyst,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 3, no. 2, 2020.
- E. Marlina, M. Basjir, M. Ichiyanagi, T. Suzuki, G. J. Gotama, and W. Anggono, “The Role of Eucalyptus Oil in Crude Palm Oil As Biodiesel Fuel,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2020.
- G. Knothe, J. Krahl, and J. Van Gerpen, The biodiesel handbook. Elsevier, 2015.
- A. S. Ramadhas, S. Jayaraj, and C. Muraleedharan, “Use of vegetable oils as IC engine fuels—a review,” Renewable energy, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 727–742, 2004.
- A. Bhikuning, R. Sugawara, E. Matsumura, and J. Senda, “Investigation of spray characteristics from waste cooking oil, bio-hydro fined diesel oil (BHD) and n-tridecane in a constant volume chamber,” Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, vol. 21, p. 100661, 2020.
- O. Schröder et al., “Emissions from diesel engines using fatty acid methyl esters from different vegetable oils as blends and pure fuel,” in Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2012, vol. 364, no. 1, p. 12017.
- M. F. Al_Dawody and S. K. Bhatti, “Experimental and computational investigations for combustion, performance and emission parameters of a diesel engine fueled with soybean biodiesel-diesel blends,” Energy Procedia, vol. 52, pp. 421–430, 2014.
- W. Qi, P. Ming, A. Jilani, H. Zhao, and M. Jia, “A comparison of spray and combustion characteristics of biodiesel (soy methyl ester, rapeseed methyl ester) with diesel,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, vol. 233, no. 7, pp. 1712–1723, 2019.
- M. Aldhaidhawi, L. Miron, R. Chiriac, and V. Badescu, “Autoignition process in compression ignition engine fueled by diesel fuel and biodiesel with 20% rapeseed biofuel in diesel fuel,” Journal of Energy Engineering, vol. 144, no. 5, p. 4018049, 2018.
- V. V Pham, “Research on the application of Diesel-Rk in the calculation and evaluation of technical and economic criteria of marine diesel engines using the unified ULSD and Biodiesel blended fuel,” J. Mech. Eng. Res. Dev, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 87–97, 2019.
- M. F. Al-Dawody and S. K. Bhatti, “Effect of soybean oil biofuel blending on the performance and emissions of Diesel engine using diesel-rk software,” International journal of engineering science and technology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 4539–4555, 2011.
- D. Wang and L.-S. Fan, “Particle characterization and behavior relevant to fluidized bed combustion and gasification systems,” in Fluidized bed technologies for near-zero emission combustion and gasification, Elsevier, 2013, pp. 42–76.
- A. A. K. Mahanggi, B. Sudarmanta, and H. Soebagyo, “Experimental Study on Effect of Injection Pressure to Spray Characteristics, Performance and Emissions of DieselEngine DI 20 C Using Biodiesel Fuel,” The International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2018.
- M. F. Al-Dawody, A. A. Jazie, and H. A. Abbas, “Experimental and simulation study for the effect of waste cooking oil methyl ester blended with diesel fuel on the performance and emissions of diesel engine,” Alexandria Engineering Journal, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2019.
- R. A. Bakar, S. Ismail, and A. R. Ismail, “Fuel injection pressure effect on performance of direct injection diesel engines based on experiment,” American Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 197–202, 2008.
- H. Y. Kim, J. C. Ge, and N. J. Choi, “Effects of fuel injection pressure on combustion and emission characteristics under low speed conditions in a diesel engine fueled with palm oil biodiesel,” Energies, vol. 12, no. 17, p. 3264, 2019.
- P. McCarthy, M. G. Rasul, and S. Moazzem, “Comparison of the performance and emissions of different biodiesel blends against petroleum diesel,” International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 255–260, 2011.
- M. Canakci, C. Sayin, A. N. Ozsezen, and A. Turkcan, “Effect of injection pressure on the combustion, performance, and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fueled with methanol-blended diesel fuel,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 2908–2920, 2009.
- S. K. Yoon, J. C. Ge, and N. J. Choi, “Influence of fuel injection pressure on the emissions characteristics and engine performance in a CRDI diesel engine fueled with palm biodiesel blends,” Energies, vol. 12, no. 20, 2019, doi: 10.3390/en12203837.
- K. A. Abed, M. S. Gad, A. K. El Morsi, M. M. Sayed, and S. A. Elyazeed, “Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions,” Egyptian journal of petroleum, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 2019.
- K. Muralidharan, D. Vasudevan, and K. N. Sheeba, “Performance, emission and combustion characteristics of biodiesel fuelled variable compression ratio engine,” Energy, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 5385–5393, 2011.
- A. Bhikuning, X. Li, S. Koshikawa, E. Matsumura, and J. Senda, “The Experimental Investigation of the Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Direct Injection Diesel Engine by Bio-Hydro Fined Diesel Oil and Diesel Oil in Different EGR,” SAE Technical Paper, 2020.
- E. Marlina, W. Wijayanti, L. Yuliati, and I. N. G. Wardana, “The role of pole and molecular geometry of fatty acids in vegetable oils droplet on ignition and boiling characteristics,” Renewable Energy, vol. 145, pp. 596–603, 2020.