Main Article Content
The growth of diesel vehicles has consequences for the consumption of diesel oil. Therefore, using Jatropha as an alternative fuel reduces dependence on diesel oil and it does not interfere with food availability. However, the high viscosity of jatropha oil makes the fuel pump work harder. In addition, the low calorific value reduces the quality of the fuel which creates unique problems. Ethanol, with its low viscosity and high oxygen content, is expected to be effective in reducing jatropha problems for diesel engines. Therefore, this study aims to evaluate the addition of ethanol to the brake torque, brake-specific fuel consumption, exhaust gas temperature, and smoke opacity. The 4JB1 diesel engine with an EGR was tested on a 10% (DJ10) and 20% (DJ20) diesel-jatropha mixture. The experimental results showed that brake torque increased by 1.51% in the DJ10 application, brake specific fuel consumption decreased by 7.05%, exhaust gas temperature decreased by 0.67%, and smoke opacity increased by 25.91%. While in the DJ20 application, brake torque increased by 3.19%, brake-specific fuel consumption decreased by 30.08%, exhaust gas temperature decreased by 0.67%, and smoke opacity increased by 69.03%.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- A. Kolakoti, M. Setiyo, and B. Waluyo, “Biodiesel production from waste cooking oil: Characterization, modeling and optimization,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2021, doi: 10.31603/mesi.5320.
- M. Setiyo, D. Yuvenda, and O. D. Samuel, “The concise latest report on the advantages and disadvantages of pure biodiesel (B100) on engine performance: literature review and bibliometric analysis,” Indonesian Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 469–490, 2021, doi: 10.17509/ijost.v6i3.38430.
- E. A. El Shenawy, M. Elkelawy, H. A. Bastawissi, H. Panchal, and M. M. Shams, “Comparative study of the combustion , performance , and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine with a partially premixed lean charge compression ignition diesel engines,” Fuel, vol. 249, no. February, pp. 277–285, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2019.03.073.
- W. Tutak, K. Lukács, S. Szwaja, and Á. Bereczky, “Alcohol – diesel fuel combustion in the compression ignition engine,” Fuel, vol. 154, no. August, pp. 196–206, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2015.03.071.
- Z. Wadud, “Diesel demand in the road freight sector in the UK : Estimates for different vehicle types,” Applied Energy, vol. 165, pp. 849–857, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.12.102.
- F. L. Sanjaya, “Brake spesific fuel consumption, brake thermal efficiency dan emisi gas buang mesin bensin EFI dengan sistem EGR berbahan bakar premium dan butanol,” Turbo : Jurnal Program Studi Teknik Mesin, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 170–176, 2020, doi: 10.24127/trb.v9i2.1178.
- A. Gharehghani, “Load limits of an HCCI engine fueled with natural gas , ethanol , and methanol,” Fuel, vol. 239, no. November 2018, pp. 1001–1014, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.11.066.
- Syarifudin, F. L. Sanjaya, F. Fatkhurrozak, M. K. Usman, Y. Sibagariang, and H. Köten, “Effect Methanol, Ethanol, Butanol on the Emissions Characteristics of Gasoline Engine,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 62–67, 2021, doi: 10.31603/ae.4641.
- M. Aldhaidhawi, R. Chiriac, and V. Badescu, “Ignition delay, combustion and emission characteristics of Diesel engine fueled with rapeseed biodiesel–A literature review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 73, pp. 178–186, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2017.01.129.
- A. Bhikuning, “The simulation of performance and emissions from rapeseed and soybean methyl ester in different injection pressures,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 112–118, 2021, doi: 10.31603/ae.4682.
- Syarifudin and Syaiful, “Performance and soot emissions from direct injection diesel engine fueled by diesel-jatropha-butanol-blended diesel fuel Performance and soot emissions from direct injection diesel engine fueled by diesel-jatropha-butanol-blended diesel fuel,” in 1st Borobudur International Symposium on Applied Science and Engineering (BIS-ASE), 2020, pp. 1–8, doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/1517/1/012103.
- Syarifudin, Syaiful, and E. Yohana, “Effect of butanol on fuel consumption and smoke emission of direct injection diesel engine fueled by jatropha oil and diesel fuel blends with cold EGR system,” in International Cooperation for Education about Standardization 2018 (ICES 2018), 2018, vol. 49, pp. 1–6, doi: 10.1051/shsconf/20184902010.
- F. Pradelle et al., “Experimental assessment of some key physicochemical properties of diesel- biodiesel-ethanol ( DBE ) blends for use in compression ignition engines,” Fuel, vol. 248, no. February, pp. 241–253, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2019.03.087.
- E. Alptekin, “Evaluation of ethanol and isopropanol as additives with diesel fuel in a CRDI diesel engine,” Fuel, vol. 205, pp. 161–172, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2017.05.076.
- Z. Gao, S. Lin, J. Ji, and M. Li, “An experimental study on combustion performance and fl ame spread characteristics over liquid diesel and ethanol-diesel blended fuel,” Energy, vol. 170, pp. 349–355, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2018.12.130.
- M. Nour, A. M. A. Attia, and S. A. Nada, “Improvement of CI engine combustion and performance running on ternary blends of higher alcohol ( Pentanol and Octanol )/ hydrous ethanol / diesel,” Fuel, vol. 251, no. February, pp. 10–22, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2019.04.026.
- F. Fatkhurrozak and Syaiful, “Effect of Diethyl Ether (DEE) on Performances and Smoke Emission of Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fueled by Diesel and Jatropha Oil Blends with Cold EGR System,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 494, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2019, doi: 10.1088/1757-899X/494/1/012005.
- J. Zapata-Mina, A. Restrepo, C. Romero, and H. Quintero, “Exergy analysis of a diesel engine converted to spark ignition operating with diesel, ethanol, and gasoline/ethanol blends,” Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, vol. 42, no. June, p. 100803, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.seta.2020.100803.
- Y. Effendi and S. Syaiful, “Uji daya mesin diesel dengan hot EGR menggunakan bahan bakar campuran biosolar, metanol kadar rendah, dan jatropha,” Turbo : Jurnal Program Studi Teknik Mesin, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 153–161, 2020, doi: 10.24127/trb.v8i2.1030.
- M. Hetheira, Y. J. Lewerissa, and R. O. Y. Matapere, “Analisis Ukuran Sabuk untuk Turbin Cross Flow Pada Pembangkit Listrik Tenaga Mikro Hidro (PLTMH) 30 KVA,” Jurnal Voering, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 7–14, 2020, doi: 10.32531/jvoe.v5i1.215.
- B. Utomo, “Hubungan Antara Konsumsi Bahan Bakar dengan Berbagai Perubahan Kecepatan pada Motor Diesel Penggerak Kapal,” Jurnal Rekayasa Mesin, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 2020, doi: 10.32497/jrm.v15i2.1957.
- E. Darmana, “Studi Eksperimental EGT dan Smoke Opacity pada Mesin Diesel Menggunakan Bahan Bakar Campuran Jatropha dengan Sistem Cold EGR,” Eksergi: Jurnal Teknik Energi, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 32–39, 2017, doi: 10.32497/eksergi.v13i2.906.
- S. Sunaryo, P. A. Sesotyo, E. Saputra, and A. P. Sasmito, “Performance and Fuel Consumption of Diesel Engine Fueled by Diesel Fuel and Waste Plastic Oil Blends: An Experimental Investigation,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 20–26, 2021, doi: 10.31603/ae.3692.
- G. Singh, A. P. Singh, and A. K. Agarwal, “Experimental investigations of combustion , performance and emission characterization of biodiesel fuelled HCCI engine using external mixture formation technique,” Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, vol. 6, pp. 116–128, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.seta.2014.01.002.
- B. Waluyo, M. Setiyo, Saifudin, and I. N. G. Wardana, “Fuel performance for stable homogeneous gasoline-methanol-ethanol blends,” Fuel, vol. 294, no. February, p. 120565, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2021.120565.