Main Article Content
The installation of aerodynamic devices, such as rear wings with the application of a Gurney flap, is very important to improve the performance of vehicles and can generate downforce and reduce slip when a car turns and brakes. The goal of this study was to determine the aerodynamic characteristics of the addition of a rear wing using an Eppler 423 airfoil, which was applied with a Gurney flap featuring variations in the angle of attack and the height of the Gurney flap. The rear wing was mounted on the Ahmed body with a rear slant angle of 15°, which is similar to the configuration on a fastback type car. This research was conducted by 3D modeling through computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation using ANSYS Student R18.2 by using ahmed body design. There are three variations in the angle of attack for the rear wing (0°, 7.5°, and 15°), as well as five variations in Gurney flap height of 0%, 0.5%, 1%, 1.5%, and 2% for the chord-line length. In this study, the best variation was found at an angle of attack of 15⁰ with a height of 2% C. From this configuration improved CL/CD ratio by 25.36% when compared to the results without a Gurney flap.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- F. Marchesin, R. S. Barbosa, M. Gadola, and D. Chindamo, “A Road-Holding Index Based on Ride Dynamics for High-Downforce Racing Cars,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 538, no. 1, 2019, doi: 10.1088/1757-899X/538/1/012069.
- D. W. Karmiadji, M. Gozali, M. Setiyo, T. Raja, and T. A. Purnomo, “Comprehensive Analysis of Minibuses Gravity Center: A Post-Production Review for Car Body Industry,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 2021, doi: 10.31603/mesi.5250.
- S. Sarkar, K. Thummar, N. Shah, and V. Vagrecha, “A review paper on aerodynamic drag reduction and CFD analysis of vehicles,” Proc. A Rev. Paper Aerodyn. Drag Reduction CFD Anal. Vehicles, pp. 231–235, 2019.
- A. Yudianto, I. W. Adiyasa, and A. Yudantoko, “Aerodynamics of Bus Platooning under Crosswind,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 119–130, 2021.
- R. P. Putra, D. Yuvenda, M. Setiyo, A. Andrizal, and M. Martias, “Body City Car Design of Two Passengers Capacity: A Numerical Simulation Study,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 163–172, 2022.
- S. Jain, N. Sitaram, and S. Krishnaswamy, “Computational Investigations on the Effects of Gurney Flap on Airfoil Aerodynamics,” International Scholarly Research Notices, vol. 2015, pp. 1–11, 2015, doi: 10.1155/2015/402358.
- K. Kurec, M. Remer, T. Mayer, S. Tudruj, and J. Piechna, “Flow control for a car-mounted rear wing,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 152, no. December 2018, pp. 384–399, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2018.12.034.
- Heisler, “Advanced Vehicle Technology,” Advanced Vehicle Technology, 2002, doi: 10.1016/b978-0-7506-5131-8.x5000-3.
- M. Fox, In Reply: BEHAVIOUR THERAPY, vol. 112, no. 483. 1966.
- M. Basso, C. Cravero, and D. Marsano, “Aerodynamic effect of the gurney flap on the front wing of a f1 car and flow interactions with car components,” Energies, vol. 14, no. 8, 2021, doi: 10.3390/en14082059.
- G. Sivaraj, K. M. Parammasivam, M. S. Prasath, P. Vadivelu, and D. Lakshmanan, “Low analysis of rear end body shape of the vehicle for better aerodynamic performance,” Materials Today: Proceedings, vol. 47, no. xxxx, pp. 2175–2181, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.matpr.2021.05.521.
- Y. V. Yoanita, S. T. Pinindriya, E. Kumolosari, B. Gilang P, and R. Didik, “The influence of gurney flap to the stability of formula car rear wing with simulation,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 1823, no. 1, 2021, doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/1823/1/012064.
- J. Katz and L. Dykstra, “Study of an open-wheel racing-car’s rear-wing aerodynamics,” SAE Technical Papers, 1989, doi: 10.4271/890600.
- J. Katz and R. Largman, “Effect of 90 Degree Flap on the Aerodynamics of a Two-Element Airfoil,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 93–94, 1989, doi: 10.1115/1.3243605.
- L. S. Roberts, J. Correia, M. V Finnis, and K. Knowles, “Aerodynamic characteristics of a wing-and-flap configuration in ground effect and yaw,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, vol. 230, no. 6, pp. 841–854, Aug. 2015, doi: 10.1177/0954407015596274.
- G. Wahl, “918 Spyder – the impulse source for future sports car concepts BT - 5th International Munich Chassis Symposium 2014,” 2014, pp. 35–56.
- J. Meder, T. Wiegand, and M. Pfadenhauer, “Adaptive aerodynamics of the new Porsche 911 Turbo,” ATZ worldwide, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 42–45, 2014, doi: 10.1007/s38311-014-0023-4.
- G. Estrada, “Mercedes-AMG GTR: Aerodynamics for the Record BT - Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management,” 2018, pp. 135–144.
- D. Coles and A. J. Wadcock, “Flying-Hot-wire Study of Flow Past an NACA 4412 Airfoil at Maximum Lift,” AIAA Journal, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 321–329, Apr. 1979, doi: 10.2514/3.61127.
- B. E. Thompson and J. H. Whitelaw, “Trailing-edge region of airfoils,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 225–234, Mar. 1989, doi: 10.2514/3.45750.
- R. H. Liebeck, “Design of Subsonic Airfoils for High Lift,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 547–561, Sep. 1978, doi: 10.2514/3.58406.
- C. C. MACADAM, M. W. SAYERS, J. D. POINTER, and M. GLEASON, “Crosswind Sensitivity of Passenger Cars and the Influence of Chassis and Aerodynamic Properties on Driver Preferences,” Vehicle System Dynamics, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 201–236, Jan. 1990, doi: 10.1080/00423119008968942.
- C. Cravero, “Aerodynamic Performance Prediction of a Profile in Ground Effect With and Without a Gurney Flap,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 139, no. 3, Jan. 2017, doi: 10.1115/1.4035137.
- C. Cravero, N. Marogna, and D. Marsano, “A numerical study of correlation between recirculation length and shedding frequency in vortex shedding Phenomena,” WSEAS Transactions on Fluid Mechanics, vol. 16, pp. 48–62, 2021, doi: 10.37394/232013.2021.16.6.
- J. E. Guerrero et al., “Preliminary design of a small-sized flapping UAV: I. Aerodynamic performance and static longitudinal stability,” Meccanica, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1343–1367, 2016, doi: 10.1007/s11012-015-0298-6.
- C. A. Niccolini Marmont Du Haut Champ and P. Silvestri, “Experimental and numerical vibro-acoustic investigation on a trimmed car door to analyze slamming event,” Applied Acoustics, vol. 166, p. 107380, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2020.107380.
- R. Salahuddin Khan and S. Umale, “CFD Aerodynamic Analysis of Ahmed Body,” International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 301–308, 2014, doi: 10.14445/22315381/ijett-v18p262.
- J. Fuller and M. A. Passmore, “The importance of rear pillar geometry on fastback wake structures,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 125, pp. 111–120, 2014, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.11.002.
- T. Avadiar, M. C. Thompson, J. Sheridan, and D. Burton, “Characterisation of the wake of the DrivAer estate vehicle,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 177, pp. 242–259, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.04.013.
- Z. Arifin, S. D. Prasetyo, A. R. Prabowo, and J. H. Cho, “Preliminary Design for Assembling and Manufacturing Sports Equipment: A Study Case on Aerobic Walker,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 107–115, 2021, doi: 10.18178/ijmerr.10.3.107-115.
- M. Grabis, “Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of High Lift , Single Element , Inverted Airfoils in Ground Effect for an FSAE Car Front Wing Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of High Lift , Single Car Front Wing,” 2017.
- O. A. Ghani, “Design Optimization of Aerodynamic Drag At the Rear of Generic Passenger Cars Using Nurbs Representation,” 2013.
- S. Banga and M. Zunaid, “CFD Simulation of Flow around External Vehicle: Ahmed Body,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, vol. 12, no. 04, pp. 87–94, 2017, doi: 10.9790/1684-1204038794.
- I. Bayraktar, D. Landman, and O. Baysal, “Experimental and computational investigation of Ahmed body for ground vehicle aerodynamics,” SAE Technical Papers, no. 724, 2001, doi: 10.4271/2001-01-2742.
- R. Varma, Mt. Scholar, and A. Professor, “CFD Analysis of Aerodynamics of Car,” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 4689–4693, 2018, doi: 10.15680/IJIRSET.2018.0705037.
- P. Madharia, M. M. Tiwari, K. Ravi, and A. General, “Computational Simulation of Ahmed Body with Varying Nose radius , Ground height & Rear Slant angle,” International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology (IJRASET), vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 925–932, 2015.
- S. Kesarwani, Y. Jayas, and V. Chhalotre, “CFD Analysis Of Flow Processes Around The Reference Ahmed Vehicle Model,” International Journal of Engineering …, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 775–780, 2014.
- M. Palanivendhan, J. Chandradass, P. K. Bannaravuri, J. Philip, and K. Shubham, “Aerodynamic simulation of optimized vortex generators and rear spoiler for performance vehicles,” Materials Today: Proceedings, vol. 45, pp. 7228–7238, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.matpr.2021.02.537.