Main Article Content
The use of nanoparticle coolant fluid in the car radiator increases the rate of heat transfer and facilitates the reduction of the overall radiator size. In this study, heat transfer characteristics of tri-hybrid nanofluids-based water/EG (60:40) were analyzed experimental and compared with water/EG (60:40). Four different nanofluids concentrations were prepared by adding 0.05 to 0.3 vol.% of tri-hybrid nanofluids dispersed a mixture of water/ethylene glycol (60:40). Experiments were carried out by varying the flow rate of coolant between 2 to 12 LPM for working temperature of 70 °C, the velocity of airflow remained at an average of 4 m/s, to understand the effect of coolant flow rate on heat transfer. The results showed that the thermal performance of tri-hybrid nanofluids in a water/EG (60:40) mixture has been investigated for volume concentrations of up to 0.3% and working temperature of 70 °C. The maximum enhancement of heat transfer coefficient for air side is observed up to 23.8% at 0.05% volume concentration meanwhile for coolant side is observed at 39.7% at 0.3% volume concentration. The pressure drop and pumping power have the same pattern which increasing in volume concentrations.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- A. Z. Ziva, Y. K. Suryana, Y. S. Kurniadianti, A. B. D. Nandiyanto, and T. Kurniawan, “Recent progress on the production of aluminum oxide (Al2O3) nanoparticles: A review,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 54–77, 2021.
- M.A. Fikri, F.F. Asri, W.M. Faizal, H.K. Adli, R. Mamat, W.H. Azmi, A.I. Ramadhan, T. Yusaf, Effects of heat transfer based water for three square multilayer absorber solar collector, in: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, 2020, pp. 012078.
- A.I. Ramadhan, W.H. Azmi, R. Mamat, K.A. Hamid, Experimental and numerical study of heat transfer and friction factor of plain tube with hybrid nanofluids, Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 22(12) (2020) 1-9.
- K. Kamajaya, E. Umar, The empirical correlations for natural convection heat transfer Al2O3 and ZrO2 nanofluid in vertical sub-channel, in: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, 2015, pp. 012053.
- M.K. Abdolbaqi, C.S.N. Azwadi, R. Mamat, W.H. Azmi, G. Najafi, Nanofluids heat transfer enhancement through straight channel under turbulent flow, International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering, 11(1) (2015) 2294–2305.
- N.F.D. Razak, M.S.M. Sani, W.H. Azmi, Heat transfer augmentation in heat exchanger by using nanofluids and vibration excitation-A review, International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering, 17(1) (2020) 7719-7733.
- M.K. Abdolbaqi, R. Mamat, N.A.C. Sidik, W.H. Azmi, P. Selvakumar, Experimental investigation and development of new correlations for heat transfer enhancement and friction factor of BioGlycol/water based TiO2 nanofluids in flat tubes, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 108 (2017) 1026-1035.
- A.I. Ramadhan, E. Diniardi, E. Dermawan, Numerical study of effect parameter fluid flow nanofluid Al2O3-water on heat transfer in corrugated tube, in: AIP Conference Proceedings, AIP Publishing LLC, 2016, pp. 050003.
- A.I. Ramadhan, W.H. Azmi, R. Mamat, Experimental investigation of thermo-physical properties of tri-hybrid nanoparticles in water-ethylene glycol mixture, Walailak Journal of Science and Technology, 18(8) (2021) 9335.
- N.A. Usri, W.H. Azmi, R. Mamat, K.A. Hamid, Forced convection heat transfer using water-ethylene glycol (60: 40) based nanofluids in automotive cooling system, International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering, 11(1) (2015) 2747–2755.
- N.A.C. Sidik, M.N.A.W.M. Yazid, R. Mamat, Recent advancement of nanofluids in engine cooling system, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 75 (2017) 137-144.
- S.Z. Heris, M. Shokrgozar, S. Poorpharhang, M. Shanbedi, S.H. Noie, Experimental study of heat transfer of a car radiator with CuO/ethylene glycol-water as a coolant, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, 35(5) (2014) 677-684.
- S.M. Peyghambarzadeh, S.H. Hashemabadi, S.M. Hoseini, M.S. Jamnani, Experimental study of heat transfer enhancement using water/ethylene glycol based nanofluids as a new coolant for car radiators, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 38(9) (2011) 1283-1290.
- M. Naraki, S. Peyghambarzadeh, S. Hashemabadi, Y. Vermahmoudi, Parametric study of overall heat transfer coefficient of CuO/water nanofluids in a car radiator, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 66 (2013) 82-90.
- K.Y. Leong, R. Saidur, S.N. Kazi, A.H. Mamun, Performance investigation of an automotive car radiator operated with nanofluid-based coolants (nanofluid as a coolant in a radiator), Applied Thermal Engineering, 30(17-18) (2010) 2685-2692.
- M. Ebrahimi, M. Farhadi, K. Sedighi, S. Akbarzade, Experimental investigation of force convection heat transfer in a car radiator filled with SiO2–water nanofluid, International Journal of Engineering Transactions B: Applications, 27(2) (2014) 333-340.
- K.W. Park, H.Y. Pak, Flow and heat transfer characteristics in flat tubes of a radiator, Numerical Heat Transfer: Part A: Applications, 41(1) (2002) 19-40.
- R.S. Vajjha, D.K. Das, P.K. Namburu, Numerical study of fluid dynamic and heat transfer performance of Al2O3 and CuO nanofluids in the flat tubes of a radiator, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 31(4) (2010) 613-621.
- P.K. Namburu, D.K. Das, K.M. Tanguturi, R.S. Vajjha, Numerical study of turbulent flow and heat transfer characteristics of nanofluids considering variable properties, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 48(2) (2009) 290-302.
- S. Devireddy, C.S.R. Mekala, V.R. Veeredhi, Improving the cooling performance of automobile radiator with ethylene glycol water based TiO2 nanofluids, International communications in heat and mass transfer, 78 (2016) 121-126.
- K.P. Nambeesan, R. Parthiban, K.R. Kumar, U.R. Athul, M. Vivek, S. Thirumalini, Experimental study of heat transfer enhancement in automobile radiator using Al2O3/water-ethylene glycol nanofluid coolants, International Journal of Automotive & Mechanical Engineering, 12 (2015).
- W.Y. Lai, B. Duculescu, P.E. Phelan, R.S. Prasher, Convective heat transfer with nanofluids in a single 1.02-mm tube, in: ASME 2006 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006, pp. 337-342.
- J.Y. Jung, H.S. Oh, H.Y. Kwak, Forced convective heat transfer of nanofluids in microchannels, in: International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 52, 2009, pp. 466-472
- K.V. Sharma, L.S. Sundar, P.K. Sarma, Estimation of heat transfer coefficient and friction factor in the transition flow with low volume concentration of Al2O3 nanofluid flowing in a circular tube and with twisted tape insert, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 36(5) (2009) 503-507.
- C.J. Ho, L.C. Wei, Z.W. Li, An experimental investigation of forced convective cooling performance of a microchannel heat sink with Al2O3/water nanofluid, Applied Thermal Engineering, 30(2-3) (2010) 96-103.
- C.T. Nguyen, G. Roy, C. Gauthier, N. Galanis, Heat transfer enhancement using Al2O3–water nanofluid for an electronic liquid cooling system, Applied Thermal Engineering, 27(8-9) (2007) 1501-1506.
- L. Godson, B. Raja, D.M. Lal, S. Wongwises, Enhancement of heat transfer using nanofluids—an overview, Renewable and sustainable energy reviews, 14(2) (2010) 629-641.
- S. Kakaç, A. Pramuanjaroenkij, Review of convective heat transfer enhancement with nanofluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 52(13-14) (2009) 3187-3196.
- X.-Q. Wang, A.S. Mujumdar, A review on nanofluids-part II: experiments and applications, Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 25(4) (2008) 631-648.
- W.H. Azmi, K.A. Hamid, N.A. Usri, R. Mamat, M.S. Mohamad, Heat transfer and friction factor of water and ethylene glycol mixture based TiO2 and Al2O3 nanofluids under turbulent flow, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 76 (2016) 24-32.
- K.A. Hamid, W.H. Azmi, R. Mamat, K.V. Sharma, Experimental investigation on heat transfer performance of TiO2 nanofluids in water–ethylene glycol mixture, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 73 (2016) 16-24.
- A.I. Ramadhan, W.H. Azmi, R. Mamat, K.A. Hamid, S. Norsakinah, Investigation on stability of tri-hybrid nanofluids in water-ethylene glycol mixture, in: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, 2019, pp. 012068.
- A.E. Bergles, The implications and challenges of enhanced heat transfer for the chemical process industries, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 79(4) (2001) 437-444.
- T.-M. Jeng, S.-C. Tzeng, C.-H. Lin, Heat transfer enhancement of Taylor–Couette–Poiseuille flow in an annulus by mounting longitudinal ribs on the rotating inner cylinder, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 50(1-2) (2007) 381-390.
- M.K. Jensen, A. Vlakancic, Technical Note Experimental investigation of turbulent heat transfer and fluid flow in internally finned tubes, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 42(7) (1999) 1343-1351.
- K.A. Hamid, W.H. Azmi, M.F. Nabil, R. Mamat, K.V. Sharma, Experimental investigation of thermal conductivity and dynamic viscosity on nanoparticle mixture ratios of TiO2-SiO2 nanofluids, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 116 (2018) 1143-1152.
- W. H. Azmi, K.A. Hamid, A.I. Ramadhan, & A. I. M. Shaiful,. Thermal hydraulic performance for hybrid composition ratio of TiO2–SiO2 nanofluids in a tube with wire coil inserts. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 25 (2021) 100899.
- Y.-T. Yang, H.-W. Tang, B.-Y. Zeng, C.-H. Wu, Numerical simulation and optimization of turbulent nanofluids in a three-dimensional rectangular rib-grooved channel, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 66 (2015) 71-79.
- C. Tso, S. Fu, C.Y. Chao, A semi-analytical model for the thermal conductivity of nanofluids and determination of the nanolayer thickness, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 70 (2014) 202-214.
- A.I. Ramadhan, W.H. Azmi, R. Mamat, Heat transfer characteristics of car radiator using tri-hybrid nanocoolant, in: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, IOP Publishing, 2020, pp. 012054.
- J.A. Eastman, S.U.S. Choi, S. Li, W. Yu, L.J. Thompson, Anomalously increased effective thermal conductivities of ethylene glycol-based nanofluids containing copper nanoparticles, Applied physics letters, 78(6) (2001) 718-720.
- K.A. Hamid, W.H. Azmi, M.F. Nabil, R. Mamat, Experimental investigation of nanoparticle mixture ratios on TiO2–SiO2 nanofluids heat transfer performance under turbulent flow, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 118 (2018) 617-627.
- J. Dong, J. Chen, Z. Chen, W. Zhang, Y. Zhou, Heat transfer and pressure drop correlations for the multi-louvered fin compact heat exchangers, Energy Conversion and Management, 48(5) (2007) 1506-1515.
- J. Sarkar, S. Bhattacharyya, M.R. Gopal, Transcritical CO2 heat pump dryer: Part 1. Mathematical model and simulation, Drying technology, 24(12) (2006) 1583-1591.
- ASHRAE, Fundamental-Handbook-American society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, (2009).
- S. Suresh, K.P. Venkitaraj, P. Selvakumar, M. Chandrasekar, Synthesis of Al2O3–Cu/water hybrid nanofluids using two step method and its thermo physical properties, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 388(1-3) (2011) 41-48.
- M.H. Esfe, A. Alirezaie, M. Rejvani, An applicable study on the thermal conductivity of SWCNT-MgO hybrid nanofluid and price-performance analysis for energy management, Applied Thermal Engineering, 111 (2017) 1202-1210.
- F.W. Dittus, L.M.K. Boelter, Heat transfer in automobile radiators of the tubular type, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 12(1) (1985) 3-22.
- A.I. Ramadhan, W.H. Azmi, The effect of nanoparticles composition ratio on dynamic viscosity of Al2O3-TiO2-SiO2 nanofluids, Materials Today: Proceedings, (2021).
- Fikri, M. A., W. M. Faizal, H. K. Adli, Z. Bo, X. X. Jiang, and A. I. Ramadhan, Experimental Determination of Water, Water/Ethylene Glycol and TiO2-SiO2 Nanofluids mixture with Water/Ethylene Glycol to Three Square Multilayer Absorber Collector on Solar Water Heating System: A Comparative Investigation, In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 1062, no. 1, p. 012019. IOP Publishing, 2021.
- A.I. Ramadhan, W. H. Azmi, R. Mamat, Stability and Thermal Conductivity of Tri-hybrid Nanofluids for High Concentration in Water-ethylene Glycol (60:40), Nanoscience & Nanotechnology-Asia 2021; 11(4):e270421184600.
- Fikri, M. A., W. M. Faizal, H. K. Adli, Z. Bo, X. X. Jiang, and A. I. Ramadhan, Investigation on stability of TiO2-SiO2 nanofluids with ratio (70: 30) in W/EG mixture (60: 40), In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 1062, no. 1, p. 012020. IOP Publishing, 2021.