Main Article Content
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is an affordable fuel with a higher octane number. However, older CNG kits without electronic controls have the potential to supply more fuel when driving downhill due to the vacuum in the intake manifold. Therefore, this article presents a development of a CNG control system that accommodates road inclination angles to improve fuel efficiency. Machine learning is involved in this work to process engine speed, throttle valve position, and road slope angle. The control system is designed to ensure reduced fuel consumption when the vehicle is operating downhill. The results showed that the control system increases fuel consumption by 25.7% when driving downhill which an inclination of 5ᵒ. The AFR increased from 17.5 to 22 and the CNG flow rate decreased from 17.7 liters/min to 13.8 liters/min which is promising for applying to CNG vehicles.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- EIA, “Global Transportation Energy Consumption: Examination of Scenarios to 2040 using ITEDD,” Washington DC, 2017.
- T. Kivevele, T. Raja, V. Pirouzfar, B. Waluyo, and M. Setiyo, “LPG-Fueled Vehicles: An Overview of Technology and Market Trend,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 6–19, 2020, doi: 10.31603/ae.v3i1.3334.
- L. M. Olalekan, O. Olatunde, F. I. Olufemi, and A. A. Olamide, “Mathematical modeling and cost comparison for electricity generation from petrol and liquified petroleum gas (LPG),” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 56–62, 2022, doi: 10.31603/mesi.6697.
- S. M. Al-fattah, “Production decline, supply outlook and key implications,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, vol. 189, p. 107049, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107049.
- O. Kutlu, “Global oil production declines in June 2020,” Energy, 2020. .
- I. C. Setiawan, “Policy Simulation of Electricity-Based Vehicle Utilization in Indonesia (Electrified Vehicle - HEV, PHEV, BEV and FCEV),” Automotive Experiences, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2019, doi: 10.31603/AE.V2I1.2020.
- S. M. N. Rahayu et al., “A Review of automotive green technology: Potential of butanol as biofuel in gasoline engine,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 82–97, 2022.
- R. M. Susanto and M. Setiyo, “Natural Gas Vehicle (NGV) : Status Teknologi dan Peluang Status Teknologi dan Peluang Pengembangannya,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 1, no. 01, pp. 1–6, 2018, doi: 10.31603/ae.v1i01.2000.
- M. Setiyo, “Alternative fuels for transportation sector in Indonesia,” Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2022, doi: 10.31603/mesi.6850.
- R. P. Putra, D. Yuvenda, M. Setiyo, A. Andrizal, and M. Martias, “Body City Car Design of Two Passengers Capacity: A Numerical Simulation Study,” Automotive Experiences, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 163–172, 2022.
- R. S. Hosmath, N. R. Banapurmath, S. V Khandal, V. N. Gaitonde, Y. H. Basavarajappa, and V. S. Yaliwal, “Effect of compression ratio , CNG fl ow rate and injection timing on the performance of dual fuel engine operated on honge oil methyl ester ( HOME ) and compressed natural gas ( CNG ),” Renewable Energy, vol. 93, pp. 579–590, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2016.03.010.
- M. U. Aslam, H. H. Masjuki, M. A. Kalam, H. Abdesselam, T. M. I. Mahlia, and M. A. Amalina, “An experimental investigation of CNG as an alternative fuel for a retrofitted gasoline vehicle,” Fuel, vol. 85, pp. 717–724, 2006, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2005.09.004.
- R. S. Lather and L. M. Das, “Performance and emission assessment of a multi- cylinder S . I engine using CNG & HCNG as fuels,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 44, no. 38, pp. 21181–21192, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.03.137.
- A. Kontses, G. Triantafyllopoulos, L. Ntziachristos, and Z. Samaras, “Particle number ( PN ) emissions from gasoline , diesel , LPG , CNG and hybrid-electric light-duty vehicles under real-world driving conditions,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 222, no. November 2019, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.117126.
- O. Gha, M. Reza, and H. Ahmadikia, “On-road performance and emission characteristics of CNG-gasoline bi-fuel taxis / private cars at the roadside environment,” Atmospheric Pollution Research, vol. 11, no. July, pp. 1743–1753, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.apr.2020.07.017.
- M. Xu, W. Cheng, H. Zhang, T. An, and S. Zhang, “Effect of diesel pre-injection timing on combustion and emission characteristics of compression ignited natural gas engine,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 117, pp. 86–94, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.enconman.2016.02.054.
- D. Yuvenda, B. Sudarmanta, A. Wahjudi, and O. Muraza, “Improved combustion performances and lowered emissions of CNG-diesel dual fuel engine under low load by optimizing CNG injection parameters,” Fuel, vol. 269, no. November 2019, p. 117202, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2020.117202.
- K. Nguyen, V. Nguyen, L. Hoang-dinh, and T. Nguyen, “Performance and emission characteristics of a port fuel injected , spark ignition engine fueled by compressed natural gas,” Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, vol. 31, no. January 2018, pp. 383–389, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.seta.2018.12.018.
- T. Kar, Z. Zhou, M. Brear, Y. Yang, M. Khosravi, and J. Lacey, “A comparative study of directly injected , spark ignition engine performance and emissions with natural gas , gasoline and charge dilution,” Fuel, vol. 304, no. March, p. 121438, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2021.121438.
- H. S. Muhssen, S. U. Masuri, B. Bin Sahari, and A. A. Hairuddin, “Design improvement of compressed natural gas (CNG)-Air mixer for diesel dual-fuel engines using computational fluid dynamics,” Energy, p. 118957, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2020.118957.
- H. H. Geok, T. I. Mohamad, S. Abdullah, Y. Ali, and A. Shamsudeen, “Experimental Investigation of Performance and Emissions of a Sequential Port Injection Compressed Natural Gas Converted Engine,” SAE International, no. 2009-32–0026, p. 8, 2009.
- H. Sadah, S. Ujila, B. Bin, and A. Aziz, “Design improvement of compressed natural gas ( CNG ) -Air mixer for diesel dual-fuel engines using computational fl uid dynamics,” Energy, vol. 216, p. 118957, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2020.118957.
- H. A. Alrazen, A. R. A. Talib, and K. A. Ahmad, “A two-component CFD studies of the effects of H 2 , CNG , and diesel blend on combustion characteristics and emissions of a diesel engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 41, no. 24, pp. 10483–10495, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.07.097.
- A. Alper and Y. Do, “Investigation of the effects of gasoline and CNG fuels on a dual sequential ignition engine at low and high load conditions,” Fuel, vol. 232, no. September 2017, pp. 114–123, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2018.05.156.
- P. Lino, G. Maione, and P. Lino, “Accurate dynamic modeling of an electronically controlled CNG injection system,” in IFAC-PapersOnLine, 2016, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 490–496, doi: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.08.072.
- Y. Huang and F. Ma, “Intelligent regression algorithm study based on performance and NOx emission experimental data of a hydrogen enriched natural gas engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 41, no. 26, pp. 11308–11320, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.03.204.
- S. Roy, A. Kumar, V. Singh, S. Ranjan, R. Banerjee, and P. Kumar, “Adaptive-neuro fuzzy inference system ( ANFIS ) based prediction of performance and emission parameters of a CRDI assisted diesel engine under CNG dual-fuel operation,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, vol. 27, pp. 274–283, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.jngse.2015.08.065.
- S. Roy, A. Ghosh, A. Kumar, and R. Banerjee, “A comparative study of GEP and an ANN strategy to model engine performance and emission characteristics of a CRDI assisted single cylinder diesel engine under CNG dual-fuel operation,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, vol. 21, pp. 814–828, 2014, doi: 10.1016/j.jngse.2014.10.024.
- A. Irimescu, “Study of Volumetric Efficiency for Spark Ignition Engines Using Alternative Fuels,” Analele Universităţii “Eftimie Murgu,” no. 2, pp. 149–154, 2010, [Online]. Available: http://anale-ing.uem.ro/2010/A_22.pdf.
- S. Munahar, M. Setiyo, M. M. Saudi, A. Ahmad, and D. Yuvenda, “Modelling Fuel Cut Off Controller on CNG Engines Using Fuzzy Logic: A Prototype,” International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1857–1865, 2022, doi: 10.18517/ijaseit.12.5.16849.
- MathWorks, “Modeling Engine Timing Using Triggered Subsystems.” www.mathworks.com, 2016, [Online]. Available: https://www.mathworks.com/help/simulink/examples/modeling-engine-timing-using-triggered-subsystems.html.
- J. Yang, J. Wang, X. Zhou, and Y. Li, “Stochastic Air-Fuel Ratio Control of Compressed Natural Gas Engines Using State Observer,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, pp. 1–8, 2020, doi: 10.1155/2020/2028398 Research.
- L. Wargula, M. Kukla, P. Lijewski, M. Dobrzynski, and F. Markiewicz, “Impact of Compressed Natural Gas ( CNG ) Fuel Systems in Small Engine Wood Chippers on Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Consumption,” Energies, vol. 13, p. 6709, 2020, doi: doi:10.3390/en13246709.