Main Article Content
High Speed Steel (HSS) tool is commonly used in engineering applications, especially as cutters. The shortfall of this materials are wear and corrosion. However, these can be reduced by coating the surface of the material. Therefore, the purpose of this research is to investigate the effects of Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating, quenching heating treatment, and tempering on the physical and mechanical properties of HSS surface. The physical characteristics which will be investigated is the micro structure, while the mechanical characteristics are hardness, wear and corrosion rate. HSS has variations in their chemical composition (% mass): 0.75–1.5 C, Co >12, V > 5, 4–4.5 Cr,10–20 W and Mo. Furthermore, DLC coating uses Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition (PACVD) technique with variation in the duration of coating (1,2,3,4,5 and 6 hours) at temperature of 300℃, with pressure variations of 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 millibar. DLC coating material be treated from methane or ethane gas, which is streamed into the fire with Argon (Ar). The result shows variations in DLC coating and the hardness grade depends on the coating time and pressure variation. DLC coating for a duration of 4 hours under 1.8 mbar pressure can reduce the surface hardness of HSS tool by 62% accompanied by increased ductility.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- H. Moriguchi, H. Ohara, and M. Tsujioka, “History and Applications of diamond-like carbon manufacturing processes,” SEI Technical Review,” no. 82, pp. 52–58, 2016.
- L. Bai, N. Srikanth, G. Kang, and K. Zhou, “Influence of third particle on the tribological behaviors of diamond-like carbon films,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 1–11, 2016.
- J. Grafika, Y. Telp, V. Malau, T. Sujitno, J. Grafika, and Y. Telp, “Deposisi Lapisan Tipis Dlc ( Diamond-Like Carbon ) Dengan Teknik Cvd (Chemical Vapour Deposition) Pada Permukaan Machinery Steel Hq 805,” Prosiding Seminar Nasional Energi & Teknologi (SINERGI) 2017, pp. 333–341, 2017.
- M. Taufik, N. Umehara, T. Tokoroyama, and M. Murashima, “The effects of oil additives and mating materials to the friction , wear and seizure characteristics of a-C : H coating,” Jurnal Tribologi, vol. 18, no. July, pp. 1–19, 2018.
- A. Bendavid, P. J. Martin, L. Randeniya, M. S. Amin, and R. Rohanizadeh, “The Properties of Fluorine Containing Diamond-Like Carbon Films Prepared by Pulsed DC Plasma-Activated Chemical Vapour Deposition,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1466–1471, 2010.
- C. Jongwannasiri and S. Watanabe, “Effect of Plasma Treatment on Friction Coefficient of Diamond-like Carbon Films,” Journal of The Surface Finishing Society of Japan, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 621–624, 2014.
- A. Nishimoto, E. Furuya, and K. Kousaka, “Nitriding and DLC Coating of Aluminum Alloy Using High-Current Pressure-Gradient-Type Plasma Source,” International Journal of Metallurgy and Metal Physics, vol.5, no.1, pp. 1-10, 2020.
- D. Priyantoro, T. Sujitno, B. Pribadi, Z. A. A. Najib, “Perlakuan Permukaan Pada Roller Rantai Dengan Metode Plasma Carburizing dari Campuran Gas He dan CH4 Pada Tekanan 1,8 mbar,” Jurnal Forum Nuklir (JFN), vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 71–74, 2016.
- F. J. Hoe, T. Aizawa, and S. Yukawa, “Synthesis and Characterization of Doped and Undoped Nano-Columnar DLC Coating”, Jurnal Teknologi, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 17–28, 2013.
- I. Mazínová and P. Florian, “Materials Selection in Mechanical Design,” in Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering, vol. 16, 2014, pp. 145–153.
- W. Anhar and N. Jamal, “Pengaruh Post-Treatment Plasma CVD Lapisan Diamond-Like Carbon Terhadap Sifat Kekerasan Permukaan Baja Aisi 410,” Rotor, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 2017.
- V. Malau, P. T. Iswanto, W. S. Slat, and D. Suharlan, “Fatigue Endurance and Hardness Characterization of DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) Coating on Hq 805 Substrat,” Prosiding Simposium Nasional Rekayasa Aplikasi Perancangan dan Industri, pp. 349–356, 2016.